Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Solo Non-White Traveler...Excited and Worried.

Solo Non-White Traveler...Excited and Worried. 1 month 1 day ago #1953

• arjun
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

My name is Arjun, and I am an Indian man. For years, I've dreamed of visiting the 127 Yard Sale, and I am planning on coming this August!

My only reservation is this: I fear that I may not be welcomed in certain areas. We are living in a very difficult time in this country as emotions surrounding race relations are becoming tense. I worry that people might mistreat me due to the color of my skin. Excuse me if it seems that I am overreacting, but all I want to do is enjoy the company of fellow Yardsalers without having to worry about my wellbeing.

I want to know if there are any non-white Yardsalers out there who can share their experiences, and perhaps give me some tips.

Thank you,
Arjun
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Solo Non-White Traveler...Excited and Worried. 1 month 1 day ago #1955

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi Arjun,

First, the official stance of the event promoters are that all people are welcome. We want everyone to feel welcome to participate. We are all human beings of equal value and deserve to be treated with love and respect.

Second, I won't speak for non-white participants, but I can tell you I've personally seen and met many non-white people at this event and I have a friend who has been participating as a vendor for many years in the Chattanooga area who is non-white. She loves this event.

Third, one of the often mentioned reasons why people like this event is "meeting friendly people from different places".

I hope that helps, but hopefully others will answer. I'm going to invite others to answer your question on social media as well.

God bless.

Solo Non-White Traveler...Excited and Worried. 4 weeks 10 hours ago #1956

• arjun
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for your words of assurance.

I hope to hear from other attendees about this topic. I am traveling from Chattanooga to Cincinnati.

Here's to a wonderful weekend,
Arjun

Solo Non-White Traveler...Excited and Worried. 4 weeks 10 hours ago #1957

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 27
Please check out this post on Facebook. We posted your question and received a lot of feedback.

https://www.facebook.com/127yardsale/posts/3111849762263775

Solo Non-White Traveler...Excited and Worried. 4 weeks 10 hours ago #1958

• arjun
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow! Great feedback. I do not have Facebook so I cannot reply. Please share my appreciation for everyone's warmth and candor.

I am curious to see that perhaps a few comments were deleted for aggression and profanity. I wonder what these folks said. Their feedback is welcome. I did not mean "only people of color can reply." I just was saying it would be nice to hear from other non-white Yardsalers.

Thank you,
Arjun

Solo Non-White Traveler...Excited and Worried. 3 weeks 1 day ago #1962

• rockysmom17
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
you will be fine. we are all in it to have fun.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.545 seconds